ABOUT THE CONTEST
Register for MathWorks Math Modeling Challenge (M3 Challenge) by February 24 and submit a video to win a $100 (or ~£75) gift card and M3 Challenge swag for your team! In a 30-60 second clip, share your best M3 Challenge commercial, or create a 2–3-minute video documenting your M3 Challenge experience. Video submissions are due by March 12th 11:59 PM EDT for your chance to win!
Category 1: Your M3 Challenge Weekend Experience
What did your M3 Challenge weekend look like? Create a 2–3-minute video documenting your M3 Challenge experience. Consider using editing and copyright-free music so you can include all the best parts! Here are some ideas of things to include in your video (you can also view past videos on the M3 Challenge Facebook page or YouTube playlist):
- Team selection and team story
- How you prepared and practiced for Challenge weekend
- Resources you used to prepare before or during Challenge weekend
- How you divided up the work and approached solving the problem
- What you would have done differently
- Obstacles, funny situations, or reflections from your work time
- Advice for future participants
- Teamwork and team fun
Category 2: Direct an M3 Challenge Commercial
If you had the chance to direct an M3 Challenge commercial aimed at high school students or teachers, what would it look like? Create a 30-60 second commercial or ad promoting M3 Challenge. Here are some ideas of things to include in your video:
- M3 Challenge description
- Your favorite parts of M3 Challenge; why others should give it a shot
- How to use math modeling to quantify real problems
- How M3 Challenge has helped you
- M3 Challenge resources – what was useful to you and why?
HOW TO ENTER
Video submissions are due by March 12 at 11:59 PM EDT by uploading it to our video repository, Gather Voices. To upload a video, click the grey icon on the bottom right. If you have any issues uploading your video to Gather Voices, upload your video to YouTube and email the link to [email protected], subject line: Social Media Contest Submission 2023.
From March 13-22, videos will be reviewed; the top team in each category will receive a $100 gift card and the runner-up team in each category will be mailed a box of swag.
- Entrants must be high school juniors or seniors in the U.S. or sixth form students in the England or Wales who are registered for and ultimately upload a solution paper for M3 Challenge 2023. Remember, partial M3 Challenge solution papers are accepted, encouraged, and judged.
- Your videos MUST include your 2023 M3 Challenge team ID #.
- Teams may only enter in one category; multiple submissions will NOT be accepted!
- The Organizer will choose the winning submissions in each category as winners based on creativity, originality, and highlighting of M3 Challenge.
- Winners will be announced March 23.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
- The winning team from each category will receive one $100 gift card and a swag box. Celebratory team dinner, anyone? (Gift cards will be emailed.)
- The runner-up team from each category will be mailed a box of M3 Challenge swag.
March 3-6: M3 Challenge weekend
March 12 11:59pm EST: Contest videos due
March 23: Winner announced for each category
By participating, each entrant grants MathWorks Math Modeling Challenge permission to use their submission and their name, likeness, comments and videos for publicity or any relevant purposes now and in the future, without payment of additional consideration, except were prohibited by law.
The “Social Media Contest” is organized by MathWorks Math Modeling Challenge (“Organizer”). This contest is governed by the above official rules and guidelines. By participating in the contest, each entrant agrees to abide by these Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements, and understands that the results of the contest, as determined by the Organizer and its agents, are final in all respects.
Please contact [email protected] with any questions.